The Chart

Do you know what this is?
It's probably kinda hard for you to read.
It may be my favorite chart in the world.
You cannot imagine my elation when I found it.
It's a chart of the Kings and Queens of England.
Including family groups.
Y'all probably think I'm wacked.
Which could very well be possible.
I'm going to confess something.
Many of you probably already know this or at least suspected it.
I'm obsessed with the Bristish Isles.
I think I could happily spend a majority of my life in the study of them.
I'm going to go print my chart so I can hug it.





40 comments:
Wow, you're really smart.
lol. I'll join you, Brooke deary! :) And then after we know every little tiny speck of British History, we'll take a vacation there and SEE the history! :) *sigh*
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE MUST GO!!!! I've DREAMED of going there!!! How fun that would be......
Okay... I... What did you have for breakfast? Whatever it was it must have gone to your head. What about Texas? We live in this great state and you want to study some place halfway around the world where the people talk funny and sit around drinking tea and eating crumpits! :) Ha ha. Just kidding sounds pretty cool. I am learning about English royalty in history right now to.
Ben
Can I hide in your suitcase when you go to Europe, Brooke? :)
haha good one ben!!
Well, I'll take you with me when I go.
(Which will be as soon as I get enough money--probably after college when I get a job. Or marry someone. Really rich. Who can afford to take me the England. And then I'll take you (and by then your ten children as well) to see where the kings and queens lived.
Sound like a plan?
Yup. Will do.
:-P
I know I am pretty clever.
Well I like the British Isles but I am not obsessed so I do think you are "wacked". :D sorry. darby
I think I'll stay here forever. Just listening to your music. *sigh* I love the soundtrack to the new P&P. Lovely. If only the movie were as good. :)
And COUNT me IN on the British Isles trip. I'm so there. :)
Oh, I like the song(s?) from the Village too. And the movie is just as good (or even better) than the music, there!
what is with you people? whats with the brits? TEXAS is such a better place.
I say, Jaron! That's terribly thoughtless of you. You know as well as I do that I am forever a loyal Texas patriot. Nevertheless, I cannot help that God put in me a love for all history and literature (and geography where it ties into history), especially that regards the British Isles. It is no different than God's putting a desire in you to play baseball. May I also mention that the very meager beginnings of baseball took place in the British Isles?
That was cricket no relation to baseball. Do not diss our sport like that! Baseball is like 110 percent better.
That was cricket no relation to baseball. Do not diss our sport like that! Baseball is like 110 percent better.
Wikipedia: Origin of baseball -
"A number of early folk games in the British Isles had characteristics that can be seen in modern baseball (as well as in cricket and rounders). Many of these early games involved a ball that was thrown at a target while an opposing player defended the target by attempting to hit the ball away. If the batter successfully hit the ball, he could attempt to score points by running between bases while fielders would attempt to catch or retrieve the ball and put the runner out in some way...In an 1801 book entitled The Sports and Pastimes of the People of England, Joseph Strutt claimed to have shown that baseball-like games can be traced back to the 14th century, and that baseball is a descendant of a British game called stoolball...According to many sources, in 1700, a Puritan leader of southern England, Thomas Wilson, expressed his disapproval of "Morris-dancing, cudgel-playing, baseball and cricket" occurring on Sundays. However, David Block, in Baseball Before We Knew It, reports that the original source has "stoolball" for "baseball". Block also reports that the reference appears to date to 1672, rather than 1700...A 1744 publication in England by John Newbery called A Little Pretty Pocket-Book includes a woodcut of stoolball and a rhyme entitled "Base-ball." This is the first known instance of the word baseball in print. [1] The book was very popular in England, and was later published in Colonial America in 1762. [2] In 1748, the family of Frederick, Prince of Wales partook in the playing of a baseball-like game...Another early print reference is Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey, originally written 1798-1799. In the first chapter the young heroine is described as preferring "cricket, baseball, riding on horseback and running about the country to books"
And don't "diss our sport" me.
I think I'm either spending the rest of my life here or buying these songs on iTune. Hm...:)
You are right, I guess I spoke without thinking (I do that alot!:)) , because I for some odd reason have developed a hatred for cricket and hate to relate the two. (I probably would like it if I ever decided to play it!)
I will say (this is totally beside the original point, and you are right anyway) that wikipedia is not very reliable, due to that fact that anyone can but info on it.
What where you saying at the end. My slow brain did not get it??? :)
I still hold the point that baseball is better.
Grace - I know!! I always have my blog music in the background when I do anything on the computer :):)
Ben - I wholeheartedly agree that baseball is so much better than cricket!! I was just pointing out that they both had british origins.
What I was saying at the end is that having british origins is not offensive to the wonderful sport of baseball.
Y'all gonna be at church?
baseball was invented by Abner Doubleday in 1839 in Cooperstown, New York.
since the ancient times people have been playing games with sticks and balls. Baseball did not come from Brittan.
Just thought I inform you guys of the REAL truth. Not to be rude or anything. Just informing ya'll. Wikipedia is wrong.
JC
It's BRITAIN not Brittan. Ugh. ;)
Before I prove my point, I want to clarify that I'm not claiming that modern Baseball came directly from BRITAIN, I'm merely noting that it has BRITISH origins. To quote myself: "May I also mention that the very meager beginnings of baseball took place in the British Isles?"
JC - Because I'm hand typing this, YOU HAVE TO READ EVERY WORD!!
Worldbook Encyclopedia: Baseball History
Historical evidence indicates that Americans developed the game from an old English sport called "rounders." In spite of this evidence, many people believe that Abner Doubleday of the US invented baseball. People in England played rounders as early as the 1600's. Rounders, like baseball, involved hitting a ball with a bat and advancing around bases...American colonists in New England played rounders as early as 1700's. They called the game by several names, including "town ball", the "Massachusetts game" and "base ball." Rules for the game appeared in books from time to time. Even so, people generally played the game according to their local customs...In spite of evidence showing that baseball developed from rounders, many people believe that Abner Doubleday invented the game in Cooperstown, N.Y., in 1839 (died in 1893)...The Doubleday Theory arose from a dispute over the origin of baseball in the early 1900's. A commision was appointed to settle the question of the game's origin. Many people told the commission that baseball developed from rounders. But the commission's report, published n 1908, credited Doubleday with inventing the game. It based its conclusions on a letter from Abner Graves, who had been a boyhood friend of Doubleday 's. Graves said he had been present when Doubleday invented baseball. Historians now believe that Doubleday had little, if anything, to do with baseball. They also point out that the game described by Graves included the practice of soaking runners. Thus, it was not essentially different than rounders.
c yall tomorrow
Nice
Owened!!! We are going to the Texans game tomarrow so we will, yet agian, not be there. Sorry wish I could do both. I am pretty posotive that we will be there next week.
I am glad that someone cares. :)
Actually you are both wrong very primitive versions of baseball began in Egypt. :)
Nice.
Okay that is just dumb. Lets just say that the official game of baseball began in America. (Probably it really started in Texas, but I do not have any evidence for that yet :) )
Ben
*shakes head* Baseball arguments on BROOKE's blog? I thought that was reserved for Missy's?!? : )
Why in the world did you tpye that all out???!!!!! I'm never gunna have time to read it... Ok I'll read it just because you took the time to do it...
btw, new post.
Let me sum it up for you:
-The Doubleday theory is bogus information.
-Baseball did not originate in America.
-Evidence suggests it originated in the British Isles.
-But Nimrod really invented it and sat around playing it in his palace the majority of his reign.
NEW POST!!!
thanks john... your a big help...
lol, anytime :)
yeeeeaaaa...
"...my tools, my dreams, the dog, the cat Yeah I think that's everything Oh I almost forgot Do you want fries with that?" - Timmy Mcgrizzle
NEW POOOSSSTTT!!!!
Wikipedia may not be credible info. Anybody can put stuff on there.
Brooke, that chart... um... wow. we are so different... like that is the most boring thing on earth for me. :) I'm so glad God made us all different though! :)
~MJ~
MJ - yes, that's why I used Worldbook to back me up the second (big) time... :)
Yes, opposites attract (or so the rumor goes) ;):):):)
JC - I'll do a new post when I'm good and ready.... paciánce... :)
NEEEWWW POOOOSSTTT...
I agree New Post please. The ball was so much fun. Write about that or the world series. There is are endless possibillities for a new post.
Post a Comment